Monday, December 5, 2022

Pale-spotted Leafwing at Progreso Lakes, 12/4/22

I was away most of the day and didn't get home till after 3:30.  It was mostly cloudy and I didn't expect to see much as I made rounds of the yard.  But some sun popped out and made for a very good hour of butterflies.  First thing I saw was the continuing (or a different) Mexican Silverspot.  It was clinging to the flame vine exposed to the southerly winds.



Then there was the usual as of late Boisduval's Yellow.


Then I checked the bait station.  I could see a leafwing..... with a dark medial arch on the forewing and what looked like back lit spots!  Wow!  Pale-spotted Leafwing!  Yard butterfly species #148 and one I thought I might have to wait a while for.


On the otherside a big chunk of missing hind wing expose a dark reddish brown upper surface of a female.  Not the blue I was hoping for but maybe she found some of our Crotons and laid a few eggs.



Finally a small silvery hairstreak proved to be a Red-crescent Scrub-Hairstreak.  I tried to turn it into a Red-lined but I don't think so.


Warm, humid, windy weather is in the forecast so stay tuned.