Saturday, December 3, 2022

Our Bait Station at Progreso Lakes, 11/22

Through the years I have not been happy with our bait station at Progreso Lakes.  I make butterfly brew and put it on a branch of the Mexican Olive.  It works pretty well, but squirrels and chachalacas eat it as soon as they find it and you can forget about it lasting over night.  I also put out fruit rinds and rotting fruit and it attracts stuff but raccons eat it up during their nocturnal forays.  What to do?

I discovered that oranges and fruit put in a suet cake cage for birds attract butterflies after a while.  I was in my barn looking for another suet cake cage when I noticed a crowdad trap I had bough several years ago.  That got the wheels turning.  Could I use that for a bait station.  I found a way to hang it in the Mexican Olive and filled it with rinds and rotting fruit and presto!  So far it has attracted Tawny Emperors, Question Marks, Red Admirals, Tropical and Goatweed Leafwings and South Texas Satyrs.


 



Now I need the good ones which I will not mention.  Do not say their names.