Monday, October 13, 2014

Big Bend National Park, Pine Canyon, 10/11/14

I had not managed to get out to Big Bend National Park this year, so I took advantage of an opportunity to go this past weekend before the cold front came through.  I really wanted to go up the Emory Peak trail to look for Troy Hibbet's Chisos Giant-Skippers but decided I wasn't up to  the nine mile hike so I decided to make a run up Pine Canyon instead.  It's been a wet fall so far and the flowers were spectacular.



And though I didn't find anything unusual, there were tons of butterflies and I managed to see 32 species on the two mile hike up to the Pine Canyon Pouroff.  Best for me was my first Rawson's Metalmark.


I tried hard to turn this into the regional Chinati Checkerspot.  The under wing pattern agrees but the upper surface looks like the widespread Theona Checkerspot.



I saw more Mexican Yellow's than all my previous sightings combined.


Only one Questionmark, but it was a doozy.


I can't resist a good California Sister.


And there were plenty of Orange Skipperlings.


I searched dozens of Elada Checkerspots hoping to find a Tiny Checkerspot but I failed.


Here's my list for the day.

  • Checkered White 20
  • Orange Sulphur 1
  • Southern Dogface 40
  • Cloudless Sulphur 1
  • Lyside Sulphur 1
  • Mexican Yellow 25
  • Sleepy Orange 30
  • Dainty Sulphur 25
  • Gray Hairstreak 4
  • Mallow Scrub-Hairstreak 1
  • Marine Blue 2
  • Reakirt's Blue 20
  • Rawson's Metalmark 1
  • American Snout 15
  • Variegated Fritillary 30
  • Theona Checkerspot 1
  • Bordered Patch 10
  • Elada Crescent 30
  • Texan Crescent 5
  • Vesta Crescent 10
  • Question Mark 1
  • American Lady 1
  • Painted Lady 5
  • Common Buckeye 2
  • California Sister 8
  • Common Mestra 15
  • Monarch 3
  • Queen 4
  • Funereal Duskywing 1
  • White Checkered-Skipper 1
  • Desert Checkered-Skipper 20
  • Orange Skipperling 20