Thursday, November 12, 2020

Great Purple Hairstreak at Progreso Lakes, 11/12/20

I spent the morning washing windows on our house at Progreso Lakes and I even washed Honey's car for good measure so I piled up a lot of good karma points.  Consequently I decided to redeem them for some quality afternoon butterflies.  I was sitting on the porch watching the bird bath when I saw this Giant White nectaring in the garden.



I returned to the porch and saw this female Orange-barred Sulphur ovipositing on the Senna at the other end of the porch.  She's a little beat up but I'm wondering if she's the really pretty one from a week ago.

Then I returned to my chair on the porch where I was watching the bird bath.  Something green and black caught my eye.  This is only the second Malachite to ever visit our yard.



So it's going to be a butterfly afternoon.  I wandered around our brush patch, not seeing much, and I stopped by the brush holly.  It was blooming and their flowers have a tendency to attract daggerwings.  No daggerwings but this big dark hairstreak got my attention.  This ragged Great Purple Hairstreak is yard butterfly #126.  It was long overdue.



Finally I caught up with one of our Boisduval's Yellows.  About a year ago the first one showed up in our yard and they've been pretty regular ever since.


The clouds really thickened up and put an end to the butterfly activity.  We are approaching prime rare butterfly season so let's hope I have a few karma points left.