Thursday, July 16, 2020

Polydamas Madness at Progreso Lakes, 7/16/20

Last year I had lots of Polydamas Swallowtail caterpillars on the Giant Dutchman's Pipevine in our yard at Progreso Lakes but I saw few fresh adults.  So this year I've been collecting a few fat cats to raise safely away from predators.  This morning one that was running a little late finally emerged.


This is the second one that's eclosed in captivity but they seem to be doing pretty good on their own this year.  I saw five at once today with several ovipositing.





The same female Ornythion Swallowtail from two days ago was back.


Big lazy Western Giant Swallowtail.


Still two Yellow Angled-Sulphurs.  That makes 14 straight days.


Butterfly numbers are way down which seems to correlate well with mosquitos.  I didn't get a single bite.  Nice to see a Mimosa Skipper.


I've left a lot of the Wireweeds to grow this year.  They really attract a lot of butterflies in the Fall with their purple aster like flowers.  I think they are also a host for Pearl Crescent which I saw in the yard today.


Chance of rain the next few days.  We could sure use some.