Tuesday, July 14, 2020

Ornythion Swallowtail at Progreso Lakes, 7/14/20

I was digging grass around the edges of my brush patch at Progreso Lakes this morning when I spied a large black swallowtail.  During the summer about anything is possible so I put down the shovel and grabbed the camera.  It was worn but I soon rule out Pipevine and Black Swallowtails.  I got a few shots and ran in the house to check the photos.  I was thinking it could be another female Broad--banded but the chevrons on the underside of the hind wings were too broad.  Also the tails on the wings are too long for Broad-banded.  It was a female Ornythion Swallowtail.  We got our first for the yard just twelve days ago.



Polydamas Swallowtails continue to emerge.



And there were the usual Western Giant Swallowtails.


Yellow-angled Sulphurs were present for the twelfth day in a row.  I read in Glassberg that they use sennas as a host plant so maybe they are breading.


We had two Tropical Leafwings yesterday.


After being absent for a while, a Boisduval's Yellow was a welcome sight


Numbers were much lower today.  Probably a result of temperatures over 100.  Wish we could get some rain.