Monday, December 9, 2019

Spot-celled Sister at National Butterfly Center, 12/9/19

Strong southerly winds ahead of an approaching cold front were predicted for today.  That usually means good butterflies.  But the wind was blowing so hard this morning at Progreso Lakes that finding anything in our yard was going to be tough.  And not very much fun.  I did see the Boisduval's Yellow again but I decided that the National Butterfly Center might be more productive.  and I might have a chance to see the Isabella Heliconian that was found yesterday.

I spent the afternoon in the south garden and along the Hackberry Trail to stay out of the wind.  First good one was an uncooperative Mexican Yellow followed by what I think was a Boisduval's Yellow.


This Marius Hairstreak was a bit worn.


Then Mike Rickard found this stonking Gray Cracker.  I've never seen one with so much color.


Then Craig Lipski found the Isabella Heliconan.  Unfortunately it refused to land and these feeble shots of this beautiful butterfly were all I could get.



The staff put out some fresh butterfly brew on the bait logs but there were few takers.  Here's a Tropical Leafwing bellied up to the bar.


I was making my last round when I glimpsed some orange and white on a bait log.  A couple I had met earlier had seen a sister.  Maybe this was it.  I fired a few shots and realized the white band did not reach the costa.  It was a Spot-celled Sister.  I think it's only the third I've ever seen.



Unfortunately it supposed to turn cold tomorrow.  But the sun is supposed to be out the following day so maybe some of these rare butterflies will be seen again.
  • Pipevine Swallowtail 5
  • Giant Swallowtail 2
  • Great Southern White 1
  • Large Orange Sulphur 3
  • Lyside Sulphur 2
  • Mexican Yellow 1
  • Little Yellow 3
  • Dainty Sulphur 1
  • Marius Hairstreak 1
  • Silver-banded Hairstreak 1
  • Mallow Scrub-Hairstreak 1
  • Cassius Blue 3
  • Red-bordered Pixie 1
  • American Snout 1
  • Julia Heliconian 1
  • Isabella's Heliconian 1
  • Zebra Heliconian 6
  • Bordered Patch 1
  • Texan Crescent 3
  • Vesta Crescent 1
  • Phaon Crescent 3
  • Red Admiral 2
  • White Peacock 1
  • Tropical Leafwing 3
  • Tawny Emperor 2
  • Carolina Satyr 1
  • Monarch 2
  • Queen 3
  • Guava Skipper 1
  • Dorantes Longtail 1
  • Brown Longtail 2
  • White-patched Skipper 1
  • Laviana White-Skipper 3
  • Clouded Skipper 3
  • Southern Skipperling 2
  • Whirlabout 2
  • Southern Broken-Dash 1
  • Sachem 1
  • Common Mellana 2
  • Eufala Skipper 2