Friday, May 2, 2014

Ornytion Swallowtail, Weslaco, 5/2/14

I haven't posted anything in a while as I've been busy with spring bird migration.  But I stepped outside this afternoon to quickly check out our butterfly garden.  There was not much going on when I noticed  a Giant Swallowtail approaching our flame vine.  Woops....That's not Giant Swallowtail.  It's an Ornythion Swallowtail!  It was only the third I've ever seen but was pretty easy to recognize after seeing so many Giants.  Notice the tail is spotless on the dorsum and the yellow is paler than on Giant.  The yellow spots on the hindwing are shaped like chevrons.





So yard butterfly #83 turns out to be the best our garden has attracted so far.  I now have some faith that we can get some rare stuff.  I just need to keep it watered.