Friday, May 9, 2014

Definite Patch at Palo Alto, 5/9/14

I got up this warm, humid, breezy morning and headed over to Cameron County with the intent of seeing a Definite Patch.  The only site I knew for them was Palo Alto National Battlefield north of Brownsville.  I arrived about noon and saw nothing in the little garden in front of the visitors center.  So I walked down the sidewalk, checking out the Sea Ox Eye Daisies, and eventually found a patch/checkerspot back behind the building.  Sure enough, it was my first Definite Patch.  I searched a bit more but didn't see any others.  The underwing looks right but the top is colored a bit differently than the photos in Glassberg.






A very brightly colored Gray Hairstreak.


Feeling lucky I drove on down to Sabal Palm Sanctuary to look for Double-dotted Skipper.  There were a few butterflies in the new garden but nothing unusual and the old garden was extremely dry and bugless as was the palm grove.  This drought has been relentless.  I'll try again some day.

When I got home I found this really sharp Texan Crescent in our garden.