Sunday, October 20, 2013

Ornythion Swallowtail at Frontera, 10/20/13

This morning I found my first male Ornythion Swallowtail this at Frontera Audubon thicket.  It was nectaring on crucita in the sw corner of the Thicket near the gate to the orange grove.




Nearby was this Giant White who hopefully has seen better days.


One of the first butterflies I saw in the orange grove this morning was this worn skipper that got me all excited.  It was about the size of a Mimosa Skipper and heavily worn.  I thought I had found something pretty good but couldn't think of any species that matched.  After getting home and checking the books,  it looks like it has to be a small, worn Dorantes Longtail.



Theona Checkerspots have invaded the Weslaco area.  I had three at Frontera and one in my yard.


Not your everyday view of a White-striped Longtail.


Another butterfly not usually seen in Weslaco is Nysa Roadside-Skipper.  I found this one in my yard a couple of days ago and Mike Rickard had one at Frontera yesterday.