Saturday, October 26, 2013

National Butterfly Center, 10/26/13

With the south winds cranking up I thought it would be worthwhile to the check out the National Butterfly Center this morning.  Nothing exciting.  Best was this Violet-banded Skipper.


And a cooperative Coyote Cloudywing.


How about some hairstreaks?  Here's a nice Dusky-blue Groundstreak.


And a cute Clytie Ministreak.


And a common Gray Hairstreak.


And his equally common Strymon cogener (is that a word?) Mallow Scrub-Hairstreak.


Over at Frontera Audubon Thicket in Weslaco, Mike Rickard found me another Strymon, this Red-crescent Scrub-Hairstreak.


We found this really neat caterpillar at NBC.  Right now I have no clue as to whether it's a butterfly or moth, but I'm starting to lean towards moth.  It was 2-2.5 inches long.


Yesterday I ran up to Sal del Rey unit of the Lower Rio Grande NWR to check out the birds.  On the walk out I was surprised to find this Potrillo Skipper.