Monday, October 21, 2013

Great day at NBC, 10/21/13

Today was another of those warm, humid prefrontal days when lots of butterflies are often found.  So I drove over to the National Butterfly Center to see what was about and to hopefully find the Acacia Skipper that was found yesterday.  It took a while but the Cogia hippalus appeared where it had been seen previously and posed nicely.  There are few records for this desert loving species for the Valley.




Earlier I found only the second Falcate Skipper I have ever seen.  This is one sharp looking butterfly.  I like those muscular looking legs.




This Violet-banded Skipper was also the only the second I have ever seen.  It was in the gardens out front.




Other good stuff like Gray Cracker, Ruddy Daggerwing, Texas Powdered Skipper and Red-bordered Pixie have become expected at NBC.  Here's one of the toy butterflies.


I was going to try to not post a photo of a Mexican Bluewing but I can't help myself.


Ocola Skippers are starting to appear in the Valley.


Gee, I almost forgot the Malachite.



John Rosford found this Twelve-spotted Skimmer at the little pond out in front.  Common in much of the country, it's pretty rare down here.


Well it turned out to be a great day.  I saw 71 species and know I missed some pretty easy ones.  And look what was waiting in my backyard in Weslaco when I got home.