Tuesday, May 30, 2023

Santa Ana NWR, 5/30/23

With all the recent rain I thought a trip to Santa Ana NWR was in order.  Trails were muddy so I walked the tour road to the cemetery.  Things are pretty lush but not a lot was blooming except at the cemetery where I found this Potrillo Skipper.  I had seen them there in the past but a check of my records found my last one was 5/31/15.  Almost the same date eight years ago.



Nearby was this Texas Powdered Skipper.  I found my lifer at Santa ana years ago.


A group of 25 Laviana White-Skippers were sucking at the moist soil.


Along with a Mimosa Yellow.


Checking the piles of animal scat can always be productive.  Here's a Sickle-winged Skipper and a Texan Crescent.



Here's today's list of 31 species.  Gotta get back over there in a couple of weeks.

  • Giant Swallowtail 6
  • Great Southern White 1
  • Southern Dogface 1
  • Large Orange Sulphur 2
  • Lyside Sulphur 40
  • Little Yellow 3
  • Mimosa Yellow 1
  • Dusky-blue Groundstreak 1
  • Clytie Ministreak 1
  • Reakirt's Blue 2
  • Red-bordered Metalmark 1
  • American Snout 3
  • Gulf Fritillary 2
  • Variegated Fritillary 1
  • Bordered Patch 2
  • Texan Crescent 12
  • Vesta Crescent 15
  • White Peacock 3
  • Common Mestra 25
  • Queen 1
  • White-striped Longtail 1
  • Brown Longtail 2
  • Potrillo Skipper 1
  • Texas Powdered-Skipper 1
  • Sickle-winged Skipper 6
  • White Checkered-Skipper 1
  • Tropical Checkered-Skipper 1
  • Laviana White-Skipper 30
  • Clouded Skipper 2
  • Whirlabout 1
  • Celia's Roadside-Skipper 3