Wednesday, July 20, 2022

First Dingy Purplewing at Progreso Lakes, 7/15/22

Dingy Purplewing is a very uncommon to rare mostly summer butterfly in the Lower Rio Grande Valley of south Texas.  Lately several have been seen at the National Butterfly Center so I've been keeping an eye open for them in our Progreso Lakes yard.  The other day I put out some bait and Tawny Emperors came in as usual but one of them was a little small and not shaped right.  I put the camera on it and I fired away as I was pretty sure it was going to be a Dingy Purplewing.  I was right!  Yard butterfly species #145!


I checked our brush patch a little later and was surprised to find a second, much fresher Dingy Purplewing.  A flash brought out some extra color.




The next day there was still one hanging around.


I have some small gumbo limbro trees which is their host plant according to Glassberg so maybe we will get some more.