Friday, December 10, 2021

Ovipositing Mexican Silverspot at Progreso Lakes, 12/10/21

Strong southerly winds ahead of an approaching cold front can mean good butterflies during fall and winter.  Today the prize was a Mexican Silverspot, only the second ever for our Progreso Lakes yard.  I got a few shots of it and hoped it would find one of our passionvines.  Well, she did and laid several eggs.




The other exciting news is that the wind blew in our first Boisduval's Yellow since the hard freeze in February.  Not only have they been missing from our yard but none have been sighted at their ususal location at Resaca de la Palma State Park.  Hope it's a female and she takes an interest in our Senna pedula.

I call Giant and Florida Whites my barometer species.  When they blow in I tend to get some good stuff.  This Giant White was hunkered down in the shade but the black fore wing spot is barely visible through the hind wing.

Another good butterfly today was this Pale-banded Crescent.  They have been hard to find this year.


Today's ovipositing Mexican Silverspot came on the heels of another that I saw yesterday at the National Butterfly Center.



I thought about going back to the NBC today as I figured the wind would blow in some good stuff.  Turns out I missed both Angled and Pale-spotted Leafwings, two Pearly-gray Hairstreaks and a mega Orion Cecropian.  Ugh!!!!  Well I stand by my decision and maybe I can dig out something in the yard tomorrow morning before the cold front hits.