Tuesday, November 16, 2021

Four-spotted Sailor at Progreso Lakes, 11/16/21

A windy morning with few birds and not much in the way of butterflies seemed like a good time to change the oil on our Forester.  Then after lunch I figured out a way to crudely repair the popped out bumper that had a broken grommet.  Well, I thought I should make one more round of the yard before calling it quits.  Maybe something had arrived on on the strong SE wind that was blowing ahead of an oncoming cold front.  As I walked by my Heliconia patch I saw a small striped butterfly or moth land in front of me.  My first thought was one of those striped tussock moths.  I decided to fire a shot with the camera....Holy smokes!  It's a sailor!  It was difficult to photograph in the strong wing and the dappled lighting.  My best guess was Four-spotted Sailor which is rare in the US.  Turns out I was right and this Four-spotted Sailor was yard butterfly #136 for our Progreso Lakes yard.






Two years ago we had a Blue-eyed Sailor in the yard.  I doubt many people have two species of sailor for their yard list.  Otherwise there wasn't much to see.  More wind scheduled for tomorrow.