Friday, July 12, 2019

Butterflies at Progreso Lakes, 7/12/19

Tropical Storm Barry has been churning in the Gulf south of Louisiana and sending us some northerly breezes.  Butterfly numbers were down a bit but there were a few we don't see every day at Progreso Lakes which I attribute to the change away from our normal southerly wind. 

I saw a little brown butterfly flutter by (I'm such a great writer!) and immediately thought about Brown-banded Skipper.  I was pretty surprised to be right.  Here she is ovipositing on our Barbados Cherry.


Goatweed Leafwing is always a treat.  Our yard may be the best place in the Valley for them.


I could not get a good shot of this very fresh Questionmark.


It's been a while since we've had a Common Mestra.


We get very few Common Buckeyes.  I always wind up chasing them around the yard and getting poor photos.


It's been a good summer for Sickle-winged Skipper.


I put out some bait but all I got was this Tawny Emperor.


Laviana White-Skipper on low croton.


I guess this is a Large Orange Sulphur but the band is kind of bent.


A week ago Mike Ricard reported Statira Sulphurs from the "Wall" north of Bentsen State Park.  So I went out the next day and sure enough was able to find one in our yard.  We didn't get any last year.


As the summer progresses maybe we will start getting some good stuff.  Been a long time since we added a butterfly to our yard list.