Thursday, October 15, 2015

Cameron County, 10-14-15

Yesterday I ran over to Cameron County to scout for a field trip for the Texas Butterfly Festival.  Cameron County has a half dozen species that are really difficult to find in Hidalgo County where the National Butterfly Center is located.  My first stop was Palo Alto National Battlefield which is home to a population of Definite Patch.  I didn't find any so I had to settle for this magnificent Blue Metalmark.


Saw an Ocola Skipper and a nice Sachem.



And an inquisitive Long-tailed Weasel.



Next stop was Sabal Palm Sanctuary where I could not find Double-dotted Skipper which is not a surprise as it is more of a spring bug.  Infact there were only a few skippers and not much in bloom.  This female Rufous Hummingbird was the highlight.


Finally I ran out to the TX 4 Smiley Face to look the "big four".  First was an Obscure Skipper.


Pale-rayed Skipper was not too difficult either.


But I could not dig out Xami Hairstreak or Saltbush Sootywing, so I only scored 50% on the Cameron County Specialties (not counting the Resaca de la Palma specialties).  Guess I need to scout some more.