Friday, November 1, 2013

Santa Ana NWR, 11-1-13

The response to my Sachem vs. Fiery Skipper question in my last post was unanimous.  They are Fiery Skippers.  Color, shape and black spots pretty much rule out Sachem.

Lately Mike Rickard has been telling me about the good crucita bloom over at Santa Ana NWR.  So I finally made it over there and though I missed much of the bloom there was still a lot going on.  They were loaded with butterflies but not a lot interesting.  In fact the best one was not on crucita.  I found another East-Mexican White-Skipper in the exact place where I had one six weeks ago.  They're still loyal to the little patch of crotons along the tour road.


It was hard to walk on the trails without stepping on a Mimosa Skipper.


Is this the world's most colorful Pale-banded Crescent?


How about some long-tailed skippers?  This is a Long-tailed Skipper (but the following aren't despite their long tails, which really aren't tails at all)


I can't resist White-striped Longtails.


And a colorful Dorantes Longtail.


This has been a great fall for Potrillo Skippers.  This my first at Santa Ana.


The last few days I've seen more Soldiers than usual.


Upon arriving home I found my first yard Julia Skipper.