Thursday, November 7, 2013

Zebra-striped Hairstreak NBC 11/7/13

Yesterday a Zebra-striped Hairstreak Panthiades bathildis (also know as Zebra Cross-streak) was found at a residence north of Bentsen State Park.  A little later a second was found at the National Butterfly Center.  Unfortunately I was doing stuff for the Rio Grande Bird Festival and was unable to join the group who enjoyed these second and third records for the country.  The first record for this tropical species was found and photographed last fall at the NBC but only seen by the finder.

Then a strong cold front with much rain blew in last night and I thought my chances of seeing one of these guys was about nil. But Honey and I ran out to the NBC after the day brightened a bit and, sure enough, the butterfly was refound by Susan Morris (who volunteers with her husband Steve at Estero) and I got some pretty good pics.  Like many tropical hairstreaks the upper surface of the wings is an amazing bright azure.




I saw one of these in the Canal Zone of Panama last March.  Never thought another would be seen in the RGV.