Thursday, November 21, 2013

Strophius Hairstreak at NBC, 11/21/13

After a relatively dull day at the National Butterfly Center south of Mission, Honey and I decided to check the betony mistflower in front of the visitor's center one last time before leaving.  After a bit she asked "What's this little brown hairstreak?"  Well, after I got on it, I realized it was a Strophius Hairstreak, a pretty darn good bug for the Valley.  Luckily we were able to get a few people up to see it.



Otherwise it was a bit of  a weird day.  Numerous Giant Whites and at least ten Purple-washed Skippers were really unusual.  On the other hand, I was only able to dig out one Ocola Skipper.  Here's a lovely Giant White, another species I can't resist.


And here's a striking Purple-washed Skipper that was along the "wall" just north of Bentsen.


We had two or three Malachites.


And a beautiful Questionmark.


A few brief views of a strange haistreak got me all aflustered (Is that a word?).  But eventually it stayed put for a photo and proved to be just a sharp Clouded Skipper.


And lastly, here's a Hermes Skipper that could use a good shave.