Sunday, November 3, 2013

Rio Grande City Ranches, 11/3/13

Today I co-led a field trip for the National Butterfly Center's Butterfly Festival to  couple of ranches in the Rio Grande City area in Starr County.  Our final tally for the day was 74 species including some great stuff.  I was shocked to find my second East-Mexican White-Skipper in the past three days.  I wonder if this is a first Starr County record.


Everyone enjoyed this immaculate Florida White.


And his larger cousin, the Giant White was also popular.


The most popular butterfly was far from the rarest.  We had at least 8 Great Purple Hairstreaks that wowed our group.


A worn Coyote Cloudywing had me a bit confused till a flawless one came along and tried to mate with it.


Saw my third Purple-washed Skipper of the past week.


A common butterfly up north, the Hackberry Emperor is hard to find in the Valley.  I was surprised to find this one with few hackberries around.


The nature of the coloration of Texas Powdered-Skipper always makes it look a bit out of focus.


And Z is for Zilpa Longtail.


And I finally found what I think is a good Desert Checkered Skipper.  Wish I could have gotten a better underwing shot.