Saturday, November 23, 2013

Before the storm at NBC and Bentsen, 11/22/13

Yesterday was one of those warm breezy days before an approaching cold front that often produces a flurry of exciting butterflies in the RGV.  With the front expected to arrive in mid-afternoon I decided to hang around the National Butterfly Center to see what goodies would show up.  Minutes after my arrival a call came in alerting us of an Isabella Heliconian at Bentsen.  It's a bit beat up but I'll take it.


A few minutes later I drove the mile back to the NBC and I immediately got a call from Linda Cooper that they had just found a Yojoa Scrub-Hairstreak at Bentsen.   So I raced back to photograph this first of the species for this fall in the RGV.  We had quite a few last fall.


And it was back again to the NBC where with a little searching I managed to get lucky and find this beat up Falcate Skipper, my second this fall.


And a few minutes later I found this Lanata Scrub-Hairstreak, one of seven hairstreaks on the day.


After noon and not finding too much new for the day, I returned to Bentsen where one of their Malachites was putting on a show.  One was also reported at the NBC.


A breif stop at the "wall" north of Bentsen to check out the blooming Duranta turned up three species of Whites, Great Southern, Giant and this Florida.  I only discovered it as I was editing my photos.


With the front only minutes away, I drove back to the NBC and there was Dave Hanson poring over the Betony Mistflower where he had found both Common and Tropical Buckeyes.



I then went to check out the gardens behind the visitor's center when I received a call from Linda that she had just found a Guatemalan Cracker near the picnic table.  I ran inside to tell Louie who was writing down good species for the day on the marker board.  Then I stepped outside to approach my car when an icy, dusty wind caught me and blew off my hat.  The front had arrive and the temperature dropped about 20 degrees in just a few minutes.  I was finished with 71 species for the day.  With temps in the 40's for the next few days I guess it will be time to switch back to birding.