Friday, February 10, 2017

Chestnut Crescent at National Butterfly Center, 2/10/17


Martin Reid has been down in the Valley the past couple of days and I got a call from him about a weird groundstreak that he and Mike Rickard had found the evening before.  Well that was enough to get me out of my planned yard work and over to the National Butterfly Center.  We looked but could not refind the groundstreak however John Rosford showed up and minutes later he had found a male Chestnut Crescent.  I had seen a few females but this was my first male.



  Later Martin and I walked the ditch and found this beat up female Chestnut Crescent.  So I've seen three individuals of this rare species over the past three days.


Texan Crescents have been common lately.


I had no problem finding the reported Double-dotted Skippers.  This used to be a Brownsville specialty but they are often seen at the NBC these days.



This has been the winter of the Mexican Silverspot.


My first Common Sootywing of the year.


Black Swallowtails show up when the mustards and dills start blooming.


I was going to enter a list but NABA Sightings would not let me copy it.  I'll try again later.