Sunday, February 12, 2017

Angled Leafwings at National Butterfly Center, 2/11/17

Lorna Graham found an Angled Leafwing yesterday afternoon at the National Butterfly Center and no one else got to see it.  The only ones I have ever seen were back in  Dec. 2012.  But not to worry as the butterfly was refound today.



And for good measure I found another one shortly thereafter.  It's amazing how often rare butterflies show up in multiples.

It's been awhile since I've seen a Common Streaky-Skipper at the NBC.


Prior to last week I had only seen three Chestnut Crescents.  Now I've seen four in four days.  With both sexes being seen, I wonder if they will leave any caterpillars behind.


My afternoon started with this Band-celled Sister.


And yet another Double-dotted Skipper.


Celia's Roadside-Skipper are starting to appear again.


The winter form of South Texas Satyr has really tiny occelli.



NABA Sightings won't allow me to copy and past my list for the day so you have to go there now to see it.
https://sightings.naba.org/