Wednesday, February 8, 2017

Chestnut Crescent at Estero, 2/8/17

Several Chestnut Crescents have been seen lately at the National Butterfly Center including a male yesterday.  So when Rick Snider reported a male this afternoon at Estero Llano Grande State Park, I thought I'd better run over and try to see it.  Well I failed to find it but got a surprise female Chestnut Crescent instead.  I think it's just my fourth sighting of this rare Mexican butterfly.



And then just a few minutes later I saw my second ever Falcate Orangetip but could not manage a photo.  I did get my first Brown-banded Skipper of the year.


There were at least three Julia Heliconians.


A tattered Band-celled Sister.


It had been several years since my last Olive-clouded Skipper so I was happy to find this one.


Female Whirlabouts always make me do a double-take.


As do worn White-patched Skipper.


And then there was this one.  It was about the size of a Julia's Skipper but seemed way too dark to me.  I'm still waiting for some expert commentary on this bug.




90 degree in Feb. sure brings out the butterflies.