Saturday, November 8, 2014

Tailed Aguna at Estero and Yturria Brush, 11/8/14

This past week I led field trips for the Texas Butterfly Festival and the Rio Grande Valley Birding Festival. The butterfly festival had some good stuff like the Blue-studded Skipper at Yturria Brush and the Starred Skipper at the McAllen Botanical Gardens but I didn't get to see either one.  And other than Erichson's White Skipper and East-Mexican White-Skipper at Las Sombrillas Ranch near Rio Grande City I didn't see anything interesting.  But after leading a birding field trip with Jon Dunn at Estero Llano Grande State Park, I found my first Tailed Aguna in the parking lot so all was not lost.



Today after a couple of cool rainy days I spent the afternoon at Yturria Brush west of La Joya and saw quite a bit of stuff, nothing fantastic.  Here's another of the many Two-barred Flashers that have showed up this fall.


Another butterfly that's showing up most places after being absent for years is Erichson's White-Skipper.


The chomonque is blooming but the best things I could find on them were three Great Purple Hairstreaks.


I like White-patched Skippers.  I think I've said that before.


The Vesta Crescents enjoyed these animal droppings.


And so this this happy Tumblebug.


Just as I was finishing this afternoon, I got word of a Common Bluevent at Estero Llano Grande State Park. I raced over but it was not to be.  I'll try again tomorrow.  Here's today's list.
  • Giant Swallowtail 1
  • Southern Dogface 20
  • Cloudless Sulphur 10
  • Large Orange Sulphur 1
  • Lyside Sulphur 3
  • Little Yellow 6
  • Sleepy Orange 3
  • Dainty Sulphur 4
  • Great Purple Hairstreak 3
  • Gray Hairstreak 4
  • Mallow Scrub-Hairstreak 15
  • Lantana Scrub-Hairstreak 1
  • Dusky-blue Groundstreak 1
  • Clytie Ministreak 1
  • Western Pygmy-Blue 10
  • Ceraunus Blue 4
  • Reakirt's Blue 3
  • Red-bordered Pixie 2
  • American Snout 100
  • Gulf Fritillary 8
  • Variegated Fritillary 1
  • Elada Crescent 1
  • Texan Crescent 2
  • Vesta Crescent 75
  • American Lady 1
  • Common Mestra 3
  • Tropical Leafwing 3
  • Empress Leilia 50
  • Monarch 3
  • Queen 25
  • Two-barred Flasher 1
  • Texas Powdered-Skipper 1
  • Sickle-winged Skipper 6
  • White-patched Skipper 1
  • White Checkered-Skipper 2
  • Desert Checkered-Skipper 2
  • Erichson's White-Skipper 1
  • Laviana White-Skipper 3
  • Fawn-spotted Skipper 2
  • Clouded Skipper 3
  • Fiery Skipper 1
  • Sachem 2
  • Celia's Roadside-Skipper 1