Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Before the storm, 11/11/14


Our first strong cold front of the season is barreling in as I write this post.  Which means today was one of those warm breezy prefrontal days when good butterflies from Mexico can blow up our way.  I started the morning at Estero Llano Grande State Park where the Common Bluevent again pleased onlookers.



After things started to warm up, I decided to run over to the Curve-winged Metalmark spot on the Rio Grande off Rio Rico Road.  As many as a hundred Curve-winged Metalmarks have been reported at this location and I was happy to count forty of them prior to the on coming cold front.  They were also putting on quite a show.  Some king of weird interspecific orgy is going on in this first photo.  Hope that Mallow Scrub-Hairstreak knows what it's doing.




Also at this spot were several Red-bordered Pixies and a couple of stunning White-striped Longtails.



From there I ran over to Santa Ana NWR where Robin Zurovec was celebrating her first Evan's Skipper.  It was only my second.  She later found two more which was pretty unusual for a bug this rare.


A Panoquina congener, Purple-washed Skipper, was nearby.  Notice the long hind wing and prominant wing veins characteristic of this genus.


Robin and Troy also found a Violet-banded Skipper and I later found a second.


Troy told me about a huge Guava Skipper he saw on the trails.  I may have found it as this one had to have a wingspan of at least three inches.  What a beauty!


Another beauty was this smart Soldier.


Yesterday Honey and I ran out to Starr County to look for stuff.  Mike Rickard, Ginny Musgrave and John Rosford found a White Scrub-Hairstreak which I missed but I did get to see their nice Red-crescent Scrub-Hairstreak at Falcon State Park.


Other interesting stuff included Coyotoe Cloudywing, Mexican Yellow and Olive-clouded Skipper.