Sunday, November 9, 2014

Common Bluevent, Ruddy Hairstreak, 11/9/14

As I mentioned in my last post, a Common Bluevent Anastrus sempiternus was photgraphed yesterday and misidentified as a Brown-banded Skipper.  But sharp eyed Mark Salvato thought something was wrong and refound the bug and properly identified it.  It was gone by the time I got there yesterday.  But as I was sitting at the computer  this morning, waiting for things to warm up after a cool night, I got the call from Holly that the Common Bluevent had reappeared.  And this time I got there in time to see the bug.  Wow!  It has a blue vent!





Afterwards I ran over to the National Butterfly Center to see what might be flying and I got my second life butterfly of the day, a Ruddy Hairstreak Electrostrymon hugon.  This is one I had been wanting for a long time and luckily I got a male.  The orange upper surface of the wing is visible though some of the tears and this separates it form some other similar species.





Other good stuff included the first Mexican Fritillary I've in months,a Two-barred Flasher and a Malachite..



Here's today's list from the NBC.

  • Pipevine Swallowtail 1
  • Checkered White 1
  • Southern Dogface 5
  • Cloudless Sulphur 3
  • Large Orange Sulphur 1
  • Lyside Sulphur 8
  • Tailed Orange 2
  • Little Yellow lots
  • Silver-banded Hairstreak 1
  • Gray Hairstreak 5
  • Mallow Scrub-Hairstreak 15
  • Ruddy Hairstreak 1
  • Dusky-blue Groundstreak 4
  • Western Pygmy-Blue lots
  • Ceraunus Blue lots
  • Fatal Metalmark 1
  • Red-bordered Pixie 15
  • American Snout lots
  • Gulf Fritillary 12
  • Zebra Heliconian 6
  • Mexican Fritillary 1
  • Bordered Patch 5
  • Phaon Crescent lots
  • Pearl Crescent 5
  • Question Mark 1
  • Painted Lady 1
  • Red Admiral 5
  • Common Buckeye 1
  • White Peacock 10
  • Malachite 1
  • Common Mestra 1
  • Empress Leilia 2
  • Tawny Emperor lots
  • Monarch 1
  • Queen lots
  • Soldier 3
  • Long-tailed Skipper 1
  • Brown Longtail 6
  • Two-barred Flasher 1
  • Sickle-winged Skipper 3
  • White-patched Skipper 1
  • White Checkered-Skipper lots
  • Tropical Checkered-Skipper 2
  • Laviana White-Skipper 10
  • Julia's Skipper 5
  • Fawn-spotted Skipper lots
  • Clouded Skipper lots
  • Southern Skipperling 5
  • Fiery Skipper lots
  • Whirlabout 3
  • Sachem 8