Friday, August 9, 2013

National Butterfly Center, 8/9/13

This morning Honey and I ran over to the National Butterfly Center hoping to get lucky and find a Rosita Patch.  Several have been reported in the Valley lately.  Well, we missed that but I did manage to find a Crimson Patch.  This beauty has been hard to find in recent years.


This Bordered Patch had me going for a bit.


In the woods it was cracker city.  I found 15 Gray Crackers and two Guatemalan Crackers.  The concentric blue rings on the ocelli make this a Guatemalan.


I tried to turn this into a Glaucous but it's just a worn Gray Cracker.


The Mexican Bluewings are not easy to get close to with their wings open.  This was a distant shot.


Another distant photo was this White Angled-Sulphur.  If you get one in focus and just keep shooting you can usually get an open winged shot.


And just for the heck of it, here's a White Peacock.