Sunday, August 25, 2013

National Butterfly Center, 8/22/13

It had been almost two weeks since my last visit to the NBC so I thought it was time to check things out.  Butterfly numbers were down a bit with not too much new stuff.  But there was a new species that I had not seen in a couple of years---Florida White.  There were several hanging out in the shady ditch with the Lyside Sulphurs.



Otherwise things were pretty much the same.  Still lots of Gray Crackers around with a least two Guatemalan Crackers.  How about a two-for-one shot?



And at least half a dozen Crimson Patches were still about.


I tried to turn this crescent into something rare but the orange underwing says it's just a colorful Texan Crescent.



Here's a Tropical Leafwing.


I'm sure that given the chance this fat Cane Toad could wipe out a few butterflies.