Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Falcon/Salineno, 8-12-13

I made a trip upriver to check out the birds and bugs.  First stop was Salineno on the Rio Grande where birds were a bit sparse.  Odes were nonexitent almost.  And I was a bit early for butterflies but I did see a Malachite and my very first Nysa Roadside-Skipper.


Gray Crackers are everywhere this summer.  This one was on the shady trail along the river.


I stopped by Barry Nall's place where his bait had attracted another Gray Cracker, a Coyote Cloudywing and a Dingy Purplewing.



The next stop was the butterfly garden at Falcon State Park.  Despite the continuing drought, park staff has done a good job of keeping the plants going and a number were in boom.  This is usually a good place for Theona Checkerspot and a number were present.


Statira Sulphurs have been reported passing through the Valley in numbers but this was my first of the summer.


This sharp looking Great Purple Hairstreak kept coming back to this same cluster of flowers of a fiddlewood.


And here's a White-striped Longtail to end things.