Saturday, June 27, 2020

Progreso Lakes, 6/27/20

We finally got a couple of inches of rain yesterday and the ground was soft so I spent the morning digging grass and pulling up seedlings in my brush patch.  After lunch I did rounds of the yard looking for butterflies and danged if I didn't find another Falcate Skipper. 




Here's the one from two days ago and it clearly has a chunk missing from the right wing tip.


The other big news is I found copulating Boisduval's Yellows.  I doubt this has been photographed very often and certainly not in Hidalgo County.


And then there was this one.  It seemed the size of an Ocola Skipper but the fore wing seems narrow and juts out quite a bit like a Purple-washed.  I tried to flash it to get an open winged shot but it didn't cooperate.  Best to probably call it Panoquina sp.



Great Southern White


Copulating Soldiers.  Don't ask.  Don't tell.


Mimosa Yellow.


Hot with strong southerly winds is the forecast for next week.  Hope something good blows in.