Thursday, June 25, 2020

Falcate Skipper at Progreso Lakes, 6/25/20

This morning during breakfast I was lamenting to Honey about how long it had been since we had picked up a new butterfly for the yard.  I then listed not very rare butterflies that we should get.  Well one of them was Falcate Skipper and danged if I didn't find one in the yard today.  I saw something with white wing stripes high in a fiddlewood and lifted the camera and started firing.  I never got very close and it was gone after a couple of minutes.




The female Polydamas Swallowtail was back at it again.


Last year I saw lots of Polydamas caterpillars but few emerged adults.  I collected this fat cat with the hopes I can hatch it safely and release it.


After lunch I looked out the window and spied this Giant White.


We missed our second chance at rain today.  One more shot in the morning and if nothing happens I guess I will get the hose out and start watering again.  Gotta keep stuff blooming while good butterflies are around.