Saturday, June 27, 2015

Our Yard, 6/27/15

We got up late this morning and decided to stay home today.   So I was doing some yardwork when a nice looking Banded Peacock flew by.  I dropped the pruners and ran into the house for the camera but I was too late.  I kept an eye on the yard throughout the day hoping it would return, but now such luck.  Anyway it was yard butterfly #96.

I did get lucky when a Large Orange Sulphur I was watching landed in our Golden Rain Tree and I happened to have the camera.  The luck was that it actually was an Orange-barred Sulphur.  It took me a while to notice the orange bar.


Another yellow that I don't see too often in our yard is Mimosa Yellow.


I see Little Yellows almost every day.


A couple of small skippers hanging out in the shade proved to be Celia's Roadside-Skipper.


Guava Skipper is becoming an almost daily occurrence in our yard.  This one was under a heliconia leaf.


So we had 26 species in the yard today which is the most I've seen in a while.

  • Giant Swallowtail 2
  • Great Southern White 2
  • Cloudless Sulphur 1
  • Orange-barred Sulphur 1
  • Lyside Sulphur 1
  • Little Yellow 3
  • Mimosa Yellow 1
  • Gray Hairstreak 1
  • Mallow Scrub-Hairstreak 2
  • Lantana Scrub-Hairstreak 1
  • Dusky-blue Groundstreak 3
  • Cassius Blue 1
  • Bordered Patch 15
  • Elada Crescent 1
  • Texan Crescent 1
  • Vesta Crescent 1
  • Phaon Crescent 2
  • Pearl Crescent 2
  • Banded Peacock 1
  • Guava Skipper 1
  • Brown Longtail 2
  • Tropical Checkered-Skipper 8
  • Clouded Skipper 2
  • Whirlabout 1
  • Celia's Roadside-Skipper 2
  • Eufala Skipper 1