Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Red-sided Swallowtail at National Butterfly Center, 5/19/15

Dang! What a day!  I got to the National Butterfly Center at 10:15 AM only to find cloudy dripping skies. But I stuck it out and things warmed up and it got windy and I finished up with 53 species including the second US record for Red-sided Swallowtail Mimoides phaon.  Martin Reid found the first in Oct. 2008.


Earlier in the morning I found my second Ruby-spotted Swallowtail for the year.  Normally that would have been bug of the day.


Immediately after seeing the swallowtail I saw my first Banded Peacock of the year.  It's missing a big chunk of wing.  


Lots of Great Southern Whites were passing through along with a couple of Giant Whites.


And then a perfect Guava Skipper popped in.


With all the good butterflies in the air, I walked back up to check out the north gardens by the visitor's center and was rewarded with my first Hidalgo County Boisduval's Yellow.  They are easy to find in Cameron County at Resaca de la Palma and Sabal Palm.


I almost forgot the ovipositing Julia Heliconian.


And to finish things up, Mike Rickard found this beat up Two-barred Flasher.


This may be my all time best butterfly day but I'm not sure it beats the amazing Christmas day of 2012 that got me started on this blog.

  • Black Swallowtail 4
  • Giant Swallowtail 3
  • Red-sided Swallowtail  1
  • Ruby-spotted Swallowtail 1
  • Checkered White 4
  • Great Southern White 12
  • Giant White 2
  • Cloudless Sulphur 1
  • Large Orange Sulphur 3
  • Lyside Sulphur 5
  • Boisduval's Yellow 1
  • Little Yellow 5
  • Dainty Sulphur 4
  • Gray Hairstreak 4
  • Mallow Scrub-Hairstreak 6
  • Lantana Scrub-Hairstreak 1
  • Dusky-blue Groundstreak 6
  • Reakirt's Blue 4
  • American Snout 6
  • Gulf Fritillary 2
  • Julia Heliconian 1
  • Zebra Heliconian 1
  • Variegated Fritillary 1
  • Bordered Patch 6
  • Crimson Patch 1
  • Texan Crescent 10
  • Vesta Crescent 1
  • Phaon Crescent 40
  • Pearl Crescent 3
  • American Lady 1
  • Red Admiral 2
  • Banded Peacock 1
  • Tropical Leafwing 2
  • Tawny Emperor 30
  • Queen 10
  • Guava Skipper  1
  • Brown Longtail 1
  • Two-barred Flasher 1
  • Texas Powdered-Skipper 1
  • Sickle-winged Skipper 3
  • White Checkered-Skipper 6
  • Tropical Checkered-Skipper25
  • Laviana White-Skipper 15
  • Julia's Skipper 3
  • Fawn-spotted Skipper 3
  • Clouded Skipper 15
  • Southern Skipperling 3
  • Fiery Skipper 5
  • Whirlabout 1
  • Southern Broken-Dash 1
  • Sachem 1
  • Celia's Roadside-Skipper 4
  • Eufala Skipper 6