Friday, May 8, 2015

Eastern Tailed-Blue at NBC, 5/8/15

A warm, windy day was in the weather forecast so I ran over to the National Butterfly Center to what surprises might be in store.  I got a good one.  After sorting through tons of common butterflies, I found a small pale spotted blue that turned out to be an Eastern Tailed-Blue.  Glassberg's books shows this common butterfly is found north, south, east and west of the RGV but missing from the plains of deep south Texas.  It was certainly one I had not expected but I guess they've been seen down here before.



Another nice butterfly was my first Zilpa Longtail for the year.  It's kind of beat up/


Max told me a Julia Heliconian had been hanging around.  It took a while but I found her.


Lantana Scrub-Hairstreak seems to be everywhere this year.


Here's a nice looking Dusky-blue Groundstreak.  Most of them were down in the ditch behind the bird feeding station.


The South Texas Satyrs I saw a few weeks ago all  had tiny to nonexistent spots.  The three I saw today were back to normal.  Is this seasonal or is another species involved?


I hope I'm right in calling this a Rounded Metalmark.


Here's my longest list of the year, 48 species.

  • Black Swallowtail 3
  • Giant Swallowtail 2
  • Checkered White 15
  • Great Southern White 8
  • Giant White 1
  • Cloudless Sulphur 2
  • Large Orange Sulphur 5
  • Lyside Sulphur 60
  • Little Yellow 8
  • Sleepy Orange 1
  • Dainty Sulphur 15
  • Gray Hairstreak 8
  • Mallow Scrub-Hairstreak 20
  • Lantana Scrub-Hairstreak 1
  • Dusky-blue Groundstreak 8
  • Cassius Blue 1
  • Ceraunus Blue 3
  • Reakirt's Blue 25
  • Eastern Tailed-Blue 1
  • Rounded Metalmark 1
  • American Snout 10
  • Julia Heliconian 1
  • Bordered Patch 20
  • Elada Crescent 2
  • Texan Crescent 10
  • Vesta Crescent 1
  • Phaon Crescent 100
  • Pearl Crescent 8
  • American Lady 1
  • Red Admiral 1
  • Empress Leilia 1
  • Tawny Emperor 6
  • Carolina Satyr 3
  • Queen 8
  • Zilpa Longtail 1
  • Texas Powdered-Skipper 1
  • White Checkered-Skipper 25
  • Tropical Checkered-Skipper10
  • Laviana White-Skipper 6
  • Common Sootywing 3
  • Julia's Skipper 3
  • Fawn-spotted Skipper 6
  • Clouded Skipper 8
  • Southern Skipperling 8
  • Fiery Skipper 2
  • Whirlabout 1
  • Southern Broken-Dash 1
  • Eufala Skipper 8