Saturday, March 14, 2015

Yturria Brush, 3/14/15

I decided to make another run out to Yturria Brush today hoping to find an Erichson's Skipper.  Yturria Brush is a tract of the Lower Rio Grande Valley NWR and is located a couple of miles west of La Joya. The day started sunny but was cloudy by noon.  Small brown and gray skippers were the order of the day.  It took 2.5 miles of walking but eventually I did find an Erichson's White-Skipper.



The only other white-skipper for the day was this Turk's-cap White-Skipper.


Fifteen Nysa Roadside-Skippers were an all time high for me.  After all the cool wet weather, these early spring butterflies seem very boldly marked and harrier than usual to me.  I wonder if that is a function of diet or weather.


I also saw over a dozen Common Streaky-Skippers.



Texas Powdered-Skippers were equally common.


Most of the checkered-skippers were White (or Common) Checkered-Skipper.


But I did get a few Desert Checkered-Skippers.


Maybe it will warm up soon and I can photograph something besides small colorless skippers.