Thursday, March 12, 2015

National Butterfly Center, 3/12/15

After several days of cool rainy weather I ventured out to the National Butterfly Center south of Mission this afternoon.  With all the winter's rain, things are very lush and butterflies were starting to be more active. Chris Tenney found this very sharp Brown-banded Skipper, my first of the year.


I really liked this dark female Sachem.  I don't think I've ever seen one like this before.



Here's another Texas Powdered Skipper.  They seem to be everywhere this spring.


Not many Pierids today with the north wind.  My only Checkered White on the day.


My first Julia's Skipper for the year.


This Phaon Crescent lacks the black spot on the last orange spot on the front wing subterminal row of orange spots.  But it's still a Phaon. 


Since today's post has degenerated to a photo of a Phaon Crescent, it's time to stop.