Thursday, October 2, 2014

National Butterfly Center, 10/2/14

With an approaching cold front and a strong SE wind, I thought today might be a good one at the National Butterfly Center.  Turns out I was wrong and numbers were down about half from three days earlier.  Mosquito numbers were way down too.  I bet there's a relationship here somewhere.  Best bug goes to this Lantana Scrub-Hairstreak.  Later I ran into John Rosford who told me he had one in his yard also.



One of my first butterflies of the day was this Sickle-winged Skipper which seemed out of place in front of the visitor's center.  Usually they prefer the woods.


Here's a very colorful Fatal Metalmark.  At least that's what I guess it is.



When I got home I was surprised to find yet another Lantana Scrub-Hairstreak. 


Last night we had this huge moth on our carport.  Though I don't remember ever seeing one it turns out to be a common species, the Rustic Sphynx Moth.


Here's today's list of 35 species from the NBC.

  • Pipevine Swallowtail 1
  • Southern Dogface 6
  • Large Orange Sulphur 2
  • Lyside Sulphur 2
  • Little Yellow 5
  • Silver-banded Hairstreak 1
  • Gray Hairstreak 3
  • Mallow Scrub-Hairstreak 1
  • Lantana Scrub-Hairstreak 1
  • Western Pygmy-Blue 5
  • Ceraunus Blue 12
  • Fatal Metalmark 4
  • American Snout 60
  • Gulf Fritillary 2
  • Zebra Heliconian 3
  • Phaon Crescent 15
  • White Peacock 2
  • Tropical Leafwing 3
  • Tawny Emperor 110
  • Monarch 3
  • Queen 100
  • Soldier 1
  • Sickle-winged Skipper 1
  • Mournful Duskywing 1
  • White Checkered-Skipper 15
  • Tropical Checkered-Skipper 8
  • Laviana White-Skipper 8
  • Common Sootywing 1
  • Julia's Skipper 2
  • Clouded Skipper 6
  • Fiery Skipper 25
  • Southern Broken-Dash 6
  • Common Mellana 2
  • Celia's Roadside-Skipper 3
  • Eufala Skipper 4