Wednesday, October 29, 2014

East Mexican White-Skipper at Santa Ana NWR, 10/29/14

Yesterday someone found an Emerald Aguna at Santa Ana NWR so I headed out that way late this morning.  Didn't have any luck finding it but still saw some good bugs.  I walked the tour road to check the area past Bobcat Trail where I had seen East-Mexican White-Skipper last year.  It took a bit of searching but I eventually found one a bit farther down the road.



Earlier in the morning I found this Violet-banded Skipper in the blooming crucita near the trail head.  This is the first time I've ever seen one with its wings open.



Even though it doesn't look like one, all the marks point toward Pearl Crescent.


And then there were several Long-tailed Skippers.  This first one looks pretty normal.


But this one I'm not so sure about.  It looks a lot like esmeraldus but when I really find one that's not proteus I think I'll know it.


Saw a couple of Mimosa Yellows today.


Mike Rickard found this Great Southern White, the first I've seen in Hidalgo County in quite a while.  I have a difficult time saying "Great Southern White" with using my Foghorn Leghorn voice.  Love those blue knobs.


I don't feel like doing a list so here's an American Snout for consolation.  A real teat!