Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Red-lined Scrub Hairstreak at OHP, 7/30/13

This morning I decided to check out the Old Hidalgo Pumphouse while on my way over the National Butterfly Center.  There were still plenty of Clytie Ministreaks but I couldn't find a Gray Ministreak.  I did find this nice Gray Hairstreak.


I had pretty much given up hope of seeing the Red-lined Scrub-Hairstreak that Troy and Robin had seen five days ago.  In fact I wasn't even thinking about it.  While I was talking with three teachers from the Donna School District about some common acquaintances, I looked up and there was a Red-lined Scrub Hairstreak, right in the bush where Troy had originally found it.  It's better to be lucky than good!



Bill and Dottie came over to see the hairstreak and Bill let me borrow his 100mm macro.  I can see I'm going to need some practice.  Here's my only shot of the Red-lined Hairstreak before we flushed it.


And a close up of a Clytie.


And a Eufala Skipper.


With the heat building and a good butterfly for the day I changed my mind about going over to the butterfly park, so I thought I would sit in the car and eat my lunch before heading on back.  I looked up and there in the Tecoma in front of me was this Brazilian Skipper begging to have its picture taken.  I see very few butterflies nectaring on Tecoma stans.  This is with my 300mm back on.