Friday, July 26, 2013

Old Hidalgo Pumphouse, 7/26/13

Yesterday Robin and Troy fround a couple of Gray Ministreaks along with lots of Clytie Ministreaks at the Old Hildalgo Pumphouse.  So I ran over today there hoping to see them.  However I got distracted by this little brown skipper with a couple of white dots on the underside of its hindwing.  I had it for just a few seconds but manged to fire off some shots.  Wow!  my first Double-dotted Skipper.  Well, not so fast.  After I got home, I looked at the pictures and noticed the white costal dashes of a Clouded Skipper.  Upon close examination it appears the double dots are actually on the underside of the forewing and are showing though a tear in the underwing.  At least that's the way I interpret it.  So it's just a Clouded Skipper?




There were literally dozens of tiny Clytie Ministreaks to pick through.  Some were quite guadily marked.



After a while Robin and Troy showed up along with Bill and Dottie and Robin had me on a Gray Ministreak in not time at all.


Then Troy got us all excited with this mystery hairstreak.  It was up in the sun and acting very un-Clytie-like.  But I think it was just another Clytie.  At that point I decided it was too hot and headed for home.