Monday, September 28, 2020

Hermit Skipper and Caterpillars at Progreso Lakes, 9/28/20

South wind ahead of our second cold front of the fall brought our second ever Hermit Skipper to our Progreso Lkaes yard today.  This has been a good summer for Hermit Skippers with several in the Valley and some as far way as Uvalde County.




Yesterday the butterflies weren't doing too much so I switched to looking for caterpillars.  The one that got me started was this cool Forbe's Silkmoth caterpillar.



In the same Colima I found a Western Giant Swallowtail Caterpillar with more nearby on a smaller Colima.



The Gulf Fritillaries have been busy on our Corky-stemmed Passionvine.


I found this Orange-barred Sulphur ovipositing on a Senna pendula.


But the only caterpillars I could find were Cloudless Sulphurs.


There were even two Cloudless Sulphur Chrysalises.


And the Polydamas Swallowtails ae still at it.


It's rewarding to see my plants being put to good use.