Tuesday, November 21, 2017

Progreso Lakes yard, 11/21/17

I finally got around to some long neglected weeding in the yard today.  When I finished I thought I would check out the butterflies.  Well I kept seeing stuff and more stuff.  By the time I was finished I had seen fifty species for the day, a new one day high for our yard.  Best was this Mexican Yellow.


I saw a nice male Orange-barred Sulphur but all I could photograph was this beat up female.


Statira Sulphurs are no longer a surprise in our yard this year.


And the same can be said for Giant Whites.


My photos never do justice to Red-bordered Pixies.


Here's his cousin, the Red-bordered Metalmark.


50 species will be tough to beat unless I add some more plants.

  • Giant Swallowtail 1
  • Giant White 1
  • Cloudless Sulphur 12
  • Orange-barred Sulphur 3
  • Large Orange Sulphur 6
  • Statira Sulphur 1
  • Mexican Yellow 1
  • Little Yellow 4
  • Sleepy Orange 1
  • Dainty Sulphur 1
  • Mallow Scrub-Hairstreak 3
  • Dusky-blue Groundstreak 3
  • Cassius Blue 4
  • Ceraunus Blue 2
  • Fatal Metalmark 1
  • Red-bordered Metalmark 1
  • Red-bordered Pixie 2
  • American Snout 4
  • Gulf Fritillary 2
  • Bordered Patch 1
  • Texan Crescent 1
  • Vesta Crescent 12
  • Phaon Crescent 6
  • Pearl Crescent 4
  • Red Admiral 1
  • White Peacock 40
  • Common Mestra 2
  • Tawny Emperor 2
  • Carolina Satyr 6
  • Monarch 1
  • Queen 25
  • Soldier 3
  • Guava Skipper 1
  • White-striped Longtail 1
  • Brown Longtail 6
  • Sickle-winged Skipper 10
  • White Checkered-Skipper 15
  • Tropical Checkered-Skipper 8
  • Laviana White-Skipper 8
  • Julia's Skipper 3
  • Fawn-spotted Skipper 10
  • Clouded Skipper 30
  • Southern Skipperling 2
  • Fiery Skipper 2
  • Whirlabout 3
  • Southern Broken-Dash 2
  • Sachem 1
  • Common Mellana 1
  • Eufala Skipper 4
  • Ocola Skipper 1