Thursday, October 19, 2017

Progreso Lakes, 10/19/17

Wow!  What a great day in our yard at Progreso Lakes.  I had to stay home for the plumber and started casually looking around the yard.  First good butterfly was a female Statira Sulphur.  I later found a male.



After dealing with the plumber, I went back outside and quickly found this ratty Mexican Yellow, yard butterfly #91.  I was expecting to get one sometime during the winter.  Now I wonder if I'll see a bunch of them.


Things slowed down a while and I was about to quit when this Dorantes Longtail popped in.


I had earlier gotten White-striped Longtail.


And as usual there were plenty of Brown Longtails.


This nice Double-dotted Skipper was an afternoon surprise.  I usually get them early in the day.


I made one more round of our one acre yard, checking the purple Duranta.  It's had few floweres lately.  I notice a boldly marked female White Checkered-Skipper and thought that it looked a bit like an Erichson's White-Skipper.  But it wasn't.  I was going to quit for the day and thought I should check the garden one last time.  And guess what I found.  Of all things, it was an Erichson's White-Skipper.  I could not believe it.  I thought it was a possibility for our yard but might take years to get one.  #92!




And for good measure I saw another little grass skipper that turned out to be Olive-Clouded Skipper.



Finished the day with another new high, 47 species.

  • Pipevine Swallowtail 2
  • Giant Swallowtail 1
  • Cloudless Sulphur 10
  • Large Orange Sulphur 3
  • Statira Sulphur 2
  • Lyside Sulphur 2
  • Mexican Yellow 1
  • Tailed Orange 1
  • Little Yellow 6
  • Mimosa Yellow 3
  • Gray Hairstreak 1
  • Rounded Metalmark 2
  • Red-bordered Metalmark 1
  • American Snout 1
  • Gulf Fritillary 1
  • Bordered Patch 3
  • Phaon Crescent 8
  • Pearl Crescent 2
  • Painted Lady 3
  • White Peacock 10
  • Carolina Satyr 1
  • Monarch 2
  • Queen 30
  • Soldier 3
  • White-striped Longtail 1
  • Dorantes Longtail 1
  • Brown Longtail 8
  • Mimosa Skipper 1
  • Sickle-winged Skipper 3
  • Mournful Duskywing 2
  • Funereal Duskywing 1
  • White Checkered-Skipper 8
  • Tropical Checkered-Skipper 5
  • Erichson's White-Skipper 1
  • Laviana White-Skipper 6
  • Turk's-cap White-Skipper 1
  • Julia's Skipper 2
  • Clouded Skipper 10
  • Double-dotted Skipper 1
  • Southern Skipperling 3
  • Fiery Skipper 10
  • Whirlabout 3
  • Southern Broken-Dash 2
  • Sachem 2
  • Common Mellana 1
  • Eufala Skipper 3
  • Olive-clouded Skipper 1