Wednesday, July 6, 2016

Amazing day at Bentsen and NBC, 7/5/16


The past couple of days there been a lot of good butterflies seen between Bentsen Rio Grande Valley State Park and the National Butterfly Center.  I finally made it over to Bentsen this morning hoping to see the Erato Heliconian and there was john Rosford.  And he was filming two Erato Heliconians!  I think it's the first time there has ever been more than one of these at a time here in the USA.  Unfortunately I missed my photo opp.



The other thing I wanted to see was the Rosita Patch and I found it up high in the Wright's Catclaw.  Valley lifer #201 for me.


Two Clench's Greenstreaks were reported yesterday and I thought I found one but it turned out to be a Telea Hairstreak.


And then I did find a greenstreak but I'm not sure if it's a Clench's or a Tropical Greenstreak.  Hard to tell what the color is on the frons but it almost looks green which would be Tropical.



And then there were two magnificent Ruddy Daggerwings.



And plenty of Banded Peacocks, this one mourning the death of a Gulf Fritillary.


After an hour and a half I ran over to NBC and immediately found the Silver Emperor.  They found theirs here the same day I found the one at Santa Ana.


There target here at the National Butterfly Center were an Amazon Darner dragonfly and more Rosita Patches.  So I spent a couple of hours on the Hackberry Trail and in the Ditch.  I ran into Mike Rickard and we soon found a Rosita Patch.


We could not find the Amazon Darner but were pleased with this Bronzed River Cruiser.


Two Gray Crackers were nice.


I have to include a Mexican Bluewing.


I failed to get a photo of the Band-celled Sister but did get the Glazed Pellicia.


Here are separate lists for Bentsen and NBC.

  • Giant Swallowtail 1
  • Cloudless Sulphur 1
  • Large Orange Sulphur 8
  • Lyside Sulphur 4
  • Telea Hairstreak 1
  • Clench's Greenstreak 1
  • Cassius Blue 1
  • American Snout 200
  • Gulf Fritillary 3
  • Erato Heliconian 2
  • Rosita Patch 2
  • Vesta Crescent 1
  • White Peacock 3
  • Banded Peacock 4
  • Mexican Bluewing 1
  • Common Mestra 2
  • Ruddy Daggerwing 2
  • Tropical Leafwing 1
  • Tawny Emperor 10
  • Queen 2
  • Brown Longtail 2
  • Glazed Pellicia 1
  • Sickle-winged Skipper 5
  • Brown-banded Skipper 1
  • Tropical Checkered-Skipper 2
  • Laviana White-Skipper 1


  • Giant Swallowtail 2
  • Large Orange Sulphur 10
  • Lyside Sulphur 3
  • Mimosa Yellow 1
  • Sleepy Orange 1
  • Dusky-blue Groundstreak 2
  • American Snout 500
  • Gulf Fritillary 1
  • Julia Heliconian 1
  • Zebra Heliconian 3
  • Crimson Patch 1
  • Rosita Patch 1
  • Texan Crescent 2
  • Pearl Crescent 1
  • White Peacock 5
  • Band-celled Sister 1
  • Mexican Bluewing 15
  • Common Mestra 3
  • Gray Cracker 2
  • Tropical Leafwing 6
  • Tawny Emperor 300
  • Silver Emperor 1
  • Queen 6
  • Soldier 1
  • Glazed Pellicia 1
  • Clouded Skipper 5