Friday, February 19, 2016

Santa Ana NWR, 2/19/16

This morning I went over to Santa Ana NWR to do some birding but it was so windy that I soon switched to bugs.  Best butterfly goes to this Band-celled Sister.  I think I only saw one last year.


My first butterfly of the day was this Texas Powdered-Skipper by Willow Lake.  I've seen them in this area before.


The azureum is blooming nicely in response to the rains of last fall but it's really dry now and little else has flowers.  Several large whites all turned out to be Great Southern White.


First Pale-banded Crescent I've seen in a long time.


A striking Red-bordered Metalmark.




Sickle-winged Skippers like wooded areas.


My first list for the year.

  • Pipevine Swallowtail 1
  • Giant Swallowtail 2
  • Great Southern White 5
  • Large Orange Sulphur 2
  • Lyside Sulphur 8
  • Mimosa Yellow 1
  • Gray Hairstreak 2
  • Mallow Scrub-Hairstreak 1
  • Dusky-blue Groundstreak 2
  • Red-bordered Metalmark 2
  • American Snout 10
  • Texan Crescent 1
  • Pale-banded Crescent 1
  • Phaon Crescent 20
  • Pearl Crescent 1
  • Red Admiral 2
  • Band-celled Sister 1
  • Carolina Satyr 3
  • Monarch 6
  • White-striped Longtail 2
  • Brown Longtail 2
  • Mimosa Skipper 1
  • Texas Powdered-Skipper 2
  • Sickle-winged Skipper 2
  • Funereal Duskywing 1
  • White Checkered-Skipper 1
  • Tropical Checkered-Skipper10
  • Laviana White-Skipper 15
  • Clouded Skipper 10
  • Fiery Skipper 6
  • Whirlabout 10
  • Southern Broken-Dash 1
  • Common Mellana 1
  • Eufala Skipper 3