Tuesday, December 22, 2015

Wild Day Part I, Santa Ana NWR, 12/22/15

I haven't posted in awhile.  There's been lots of hairstreaks around but not a lot else and I've missed the rare ones.  Nymphallids are almost nonexistant and not very many pierids either.  After spending yesterday afternoon scouring the chomonque at Bentsen and the crotons at the National Butterfly Center for hairstreaks, I decided I needed to get out and walk and stretch my legs this warm windy morning.   So I headed over to Santa Ana NWR.  I was hoping to see the jacana but it wasn't cooperating so I continued on the Willow Lakes trail.  Then this gorgeous Red Rim stopped me in my tracks.  I wish I could get the red to be as vibrant as it was in real life.




Well, that was nice.  Maybe some of its cousins like Blue-eyed Sailor are around also.  So I backtracked to the tour road and decided to walk it knowing that Blue-eyed Sailors are sometimes attracted to the animal scat on the pavement.  I walked down past Bobcat Trail to the leaky pipe and saw nothing but a couple of armadillos so I decided to give up and head back.



When I got back to the old manager's residence area I decided to walk the old sidewalk which was grown over with crucita and grass.  Immediately I small dark butterfly with a bold white white band flutters by and lands in front of me.  I recognized it as something good and fired some shots with the camera.  After looking at the photos I was pleased to have found my first Blue-eyed Sailor.  Mission accomplished!


A few minutes later I get a call from Mark and Holley that they had refound the Vicroy's Ministreak in the chomonque at Bentsen.  Dang!  I wanted to see it but was worn out from my hike so I decided not to make the run over.  Then I saw this Tailed Orange nearby.


And a Common Mestra.


And a sharp looking Soldier.


Then I get another call from Mark.  They have a second Vicroy's Ministreak in the crotons at the National Butterfly Center.  Damn.  Well, this time I decided I'd better go for it.