Thursday, July 2, 2015

Falcon Dam area, 7/2/15

Honey and I went up river today to see if we could find anything different during this unusually productive summer.   A stop at Barry Nall's place in Falcon Heights produced his two Polydamas Swallowtails.  It's been a few years since I have seen one.



We next visited the butterfly gardens at Falcon State Park.  The west side of Starr County has not received the rain we have had lately in the rest of the Valley so it was pretty dry.  But there were plenty of small croton blooming along with the Betony mistflower and a few lantanas.  There were lots of hairstreaks in the crotons and the Ruddy that Honey found for me was the best.




There had to be at least twenty Mallow Scrub-Hairstreaks.


And we probably had at least a dozen Lantana Scrub-Hairstreaks.


Here's a Turk's-cap White-Skipper.



This spider took a swipe at a Whirlabout and missed so he decided to get a better vantage point and wait.




A stop at the Roma World Birding Center garden found the gate unlocked but it was extremely dry with few butterflies.  One last stop at Yturria Brush found lush conditions and plenty of blooming flowers but not a lot of butterflies.  I did find several Two-barred Flashers.


I don't feel like doing a list today.  I guess I'm listless.